Hobart Chess CLub (Inc.)
When and Where
The Hobart Chess Club (Inc.) (HCC) has moved (effective 16th of May 2016) to Mt Carmel College, 361 Sandy Bay Road, Sandy Bay 7005. The club meets in the school drama rooms located adjacent to the library. If entering from Sandy Bay Road, players may park in the school car park and then walk down the lane to the left of the admin building. The entrance will be on the left, and signed posted, the main playing hall is up stairs.
The HCC meets every Monday night from 6:30pm to 11pm. The club is open every Monday with the exception of some public holidays and Mt Carmel events. The club usually closes for 3-4 weeks over the Christmas period.
The Hobart Junior Chess Club (HJCC) meets from 5pm to 6:30 pm on Mondays during school terms. Members of the HJCC gain automatic membership of the HCC and are free to participate in HCC events.
Throughout the year the HCC runs several tournaments. All HCC and HJCC members are eligible to play in these tournaments free of charge. These tournaments are submitted the the ACF for ratings. Players wanting a casual game are welcome anytime. Between official tournaments the HCC runs casual chess nights and ad-hoc one-night tournaments that may or may not be rated by the ACF.
- Feb/Mar: Lightning Champs (one night only), Annual General Meeting (one night only)
- March to May: Open Rapid
- June to about October: Club Champs
- Oct/Nov to Dec: Some other tournament (format varies)
- Last meeting night in Dec: Handicap lightning
Details of events, results, tournaments in progress, and general club news can also found on the ChessChat forum; click “last” on right hand side to access the most recent news.
Full Club Membership - $60 per annum
- entry to all HCC events free of charge;
- membership of the Tasmanian Chess Association (TCA);
- discounted entry into TCA run events;
- an Australian Chess Federation (ACF) chess rating (conditions apply);
- access to the HCC chess library; and
- discounted tea and coffee facilities.
Casual Membership - $30 per annum
- unlimited unrated casual games; and
- access to tea and coffee facilities.
Visitors are welcome free for up to 3 nights.
Junior Membership - $30 per annum + $20 per school term
- full HCC Club membership;
- a 45 minute classroom style coaching session each week; and
- a 45 minute playing style coaching session each week.
Keep up to date on Chess Chat, Australia's Premier Chess Forum. Chess Chat is a FREE forum that anyone can sign up for. It has all the latest information on the Hobart Chess Clubs, as well as interstate tournaments, and anything chess related from around Australia and the World.
Club News, Games, and Puzzles
The HCC Newsletter is a quarterly e-mail service, similar to the TCA Newsletter, that will keep you up to date with everything happening on the Hobart and southern Tasmanian chess scene. While this service is not as detailed as the state-wide newsletter, it is good for club goers, weekend players, and parents wanting to stay in touch with what is going on. Subscription is FREE and you can unsubscribe at any time.
In 1994 a group of migrant chess players, mostly from the former Yugoslav nations (especially Serbia), banded together to form the International Chess Club. This club became the Hobart International Chess Club just a few years later when it acquired the equipment of the then dormant century-old Hobart Chess Club. In 2002 the club merged with the city’s only other active club at the time, the Sandy Bay Chess Club. In 2006 the club opened its junior branch; the Hobart International Junior Chess Club.